What do you know about the everyday items that can threaten your oral health? If you are not sure what they are, allow us to help you! More than sugar and sweets threaten your oral health. There are other everyday substances many people don’t think about that can damage their teeth.
Our dentist, Dr. Navid Malik, is happy to help you with your oral health concerns. That is why our team at M Smiles in Houston, Texas, is excited to share with you some facts on a few threats to your oral health.
Here is a list of a few threats to your teeth and gums:
– Chewing on pencils or pen caps: Chewing on pencils and pens can chip and crack your teeth, which is why it’s often recommended to chew on something better like sugarless gum.
– Biting your nails: Biting your nails puts stress and tension on your teeth and jaw and can lead to situations like Temporomandibular joint disorder, which is a disorder with the two joints that move your jaw up and down when you talk or eat causing them to lock or become painful.
– Poor oral hygiene: If you forget your oral hygiene care, you are placing your teeth and gums at risk of cavities, tooth loss and gum disease which could lead to bone loss.
– Chewing on ice: Ice is a very hard substance that can harm your teeth and gums, which is why it’s best not to eat it to avoid dental damage.
– Tongue piercings: Tongue piercings can cause nerve damage and severe damage to your teeth and mouth.
– Tobacco use: Tobacco is known to increase your prospects of multiple cancers in your body, specifically your lungs and throat. Tobacco also aggravates the gum tissues and brings bacteria and nasty chemicals in your mouth.
As you can see, many of these items are everyday and any dental damage from them could be avoided. If you have questions about your oral health, or if you need a professional dental cleaning, please call us today at 832-461-1852 to make an appointment. Our friendly and professional dental team stands ready.